Tuesday 29 November 2011

Task 3c - Sources of information

Sources of Information
After long deliberation I have finally chosen my most helpful sources of information. These are the sources that have helped me in my career so far and hopefully will continue to assist me. Everyone is different in what they find helps them, so this will be different form anyone else’s opinions.  The 5 most important sources of information for me are:-
1.       Twitter
2.       Google
3.       Talking to others
4.       Books
5.       YouTube

Twitter
Twitter, for me is the biggest source of information, especially in this day and age as technology is the latest way to stay in touch. The beauty of Twitter is that Theatres, Casting agents and media can tweet and if I am following them, I will receive information on their events or castings. It gives you the opportunity to keep up with live updates from different venues and also keeps you in the know about what is going on in London theatres. Another thing I have recently found useful with Twitter, is that fact that others can follow you. At first I didn’t see this as a source of information, however, I am an actress within the business just like Emma Watson, and so others might be interested in what I am up to. I am following Alex Jones who is a present I aspire to be like and also other presenters who are trying to start out in the business, I feel that this is vital because they are ultimately going to be your competition, so you want to know what they are doing. @eliseCWhyte


Google
Searching the internet via Google can be a helpful source because there is hardly any information that isn’t on the web. Sometimes searching via Google cannot always be accurate because some sites like Wikipedia give everyone the opportunity to place information on people which isn’t always true. However, the majority of evidence found on the web can be of assistance to us who are looking for up and coming work or even information of Celebrities to see what they are up to next. Google is a very general way of finding information but there are sites that you can find off Google that can be more useful.  In fact the Internet in general.  I find sites like CastingCallPro and even Spotlight give us the chance to manage ourselves and find jobs that are suitable for us individually. They are like Social Networking sites specifically made for actors. Other sites like Facebook and The Stage website let you keep in touch with what is going on in the world. Most of the Internet sites that keep you connected are mostly social Networking sites or Web 2.0 sites where you have your own personal profile to advertise yourself. One type of connect I haven’t mentioned is that of the Media. This keeps us up to date with News that is happening now. For example, Ken Russell a well known film director died on the 28 November 2011 with this knowledge, I know he won’t be directing so when looking at current Directors, I will know not to mention him, even though he directed great films. This is why Google is extremely useful, because you can search this information online within minutes and even get live news updates. These sites have really improved my Networking skills. Before, social sites the only way I stayed in touch will people was via email or text and that was a very rare occurrence so I feel that my Networking skills have improved because there is more of an opportunity to Network with others.


Talking to others
Using the old fashioned way of Word of Mouth never seems to let me down. Whenever you do a job, audition or even go to a party you will always speak to someone and the only way to find out what everyone is up to is to talk to them. I recently did some work down at the Globe Theatre and was approached by a group who were looking for Sword fighters. If I hadn’t spoken to her and told her what we were capable of she wouldn’t have known whether we were suitable for the job. You never know who anyone is. On the tube into work, you could be sitting next to a BBC editor or a film director. I have learnt to be careful with what I say as you never know who might be listening but talking to others and finding out about what they do and who they know may be useful. Like they always say it’s not what you know, it’s who you know. This is a vital source of Information that we use all the time without realising it. Communities of practice portray a prime example of talking to others as it is a group of people with a common interest who talk about what is going on and how they can improve on the current situation. I am not part of any Communities of Practice, however, after looking how discussing problems with people who understand or share the problem, can be really beneficial in the long run.


Books
In this day and age we don’t see books as something that will help us to find things as it becomes tedious to read through so many books and to also get your hands on it. However, I feel that they are important because you can read them on the move and can focus you to study one task instead of skimming through things on the internet. I find books very difficult to read because every page is just full of words in black ink and even though words inspire me, books don’t. However, I have found books like Contacts, which is a list of agents, Directors and Casting Directors can be an immediate help when looking for representation. It helped me when I first left college as it gives you somewhere to start. Another book that I have found really useful is a book of Actions. It is a book filled with action words of all types. This is a bit strange to some, but when finding my character, I find it helps to have a purpose behind each line and a reason for saying it. By giving each line an action, it helps give the script more dynamics and, in the rehearsal process, can also help find characters. I think to improve my skills; I should read more acting technique books such as The Actor and the Target to get more of an understanding of the different techniques used by Directors.


YouTube
I have never seen YouTube as a contributing factor to performers before, but recently I have found many uses for YouTube such as an audition, show reels and advertisement. I used to thing that YouTube would portray me in the wrong way. I.e. I post videos of myself – I am vain! But this is not the case.  YouTube, when used in the correct way, is an opportunity to broadcast yourself via video, so that people can see you for who you really are. A photo was always useful, but to have video footage of a film or in my case Presenting, it gives that little bit more for the employer to see. I have battled with myself for a while, debating whether YouTube was worth it and I have come to a conclusion that it is a quick and easy way to advertise you. If someone is interested in your work, you can direct them to your YouTube channel where there will be a selection of videos. It gives us another link to add to your website/Spotlight and can help you see what you need to improve on by watching yourself back and also comments left below the video. If I was looking to sing a song, I know that I will most probably find someone singing it on YouTube which gives me the chance to learn a song before rehearsals, if it is a song that I am not very familiar with. It is the most recent addition to my sources of Information but I think it will become more of an asset to me in the future. http://www.youtube.com/user/whytesisters This is my professional YouTube Channel.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Lisa,

    I have also recognized that Wikipedia is not very useful for serious work, because like you mentioned Wikipedia 'Give everyone the opportunity to place information on people which isn't always true. Additionally this the Informations on Wikipedia don´t satisfy me or aren´t enough when I have to know really specific informations. It is good to get a quick overview about the issue. So, that is the point were I would like to say something about another source of information that you use: Books. I haven't thought about this as I did write about my sources, but you are right. Especially when I have now got through the task, I get very curious to know about some issue e.g. a theory or a person. But here in Germany I can only use german literature and it is difficult for me to translate science literature proper. Now I am using Google Scholar to find out more about some issues. But also this is limited. Do you have any other source or hint to find good informations in the internet?

    ReplyDelete