Monday 20 February 2012

Performing Duos

So how difficult is it to have your own business in the Industry?


 It seems to be so easy. Register the company and away we go, but it is not that simple there is so much you need to know like Insurance and accounting. Having all the information can be found  http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ .


Can we appear in more than one section of the Industry i.e. presenting and acting - own business and acting?


the answer is yes, we can. There is not much difference between Presenting and acting as they are both in the same industry. Qualities such as public speaking, confidence and talents such as singing and dance can be beneficial in both Industries. They are Transdisciplinary.
    Do we need to train to be successful in the Industry?

  • I think training is vital for the work I want to do. I didn't do A levels so getting a degree is vitally important to me. When I was training I broke my ankle and ever since then I have come to realise that doing a physical job, i need the use of my entire body so therefore I need a back up. This is one reason why I want to set up my own Company
  •  

  • Should we rely on luck or do we make our own?





  • This is an on going question in my head! Luck is something we are told to believe in from a young age. When we go on stage its - GOOD LUCK or Break a Leg. We are always given some hope, but is it really luck? I get really nervous before going on stage, but with all this hype about good luck, its no wonder. What causes stage fright? I don't think Luck is real. I think we create our own as it is up to us to be in the right place at the right time. As I mentioned in my previous blogg









  • http://lisawhyte.blogspot.com/2012/02/4a-developing-inquiry.html





  • An online site seems to think there is no such thing as luck and you have to create your own by relying on 3 different elements.










      1. Proximity - “You cannot catch a fish without being near the water.”
      2. Practice - “The fish not caught on the first try is larger when finally caught.”
      3. Persistence - “If you do not fish often, the fish have little chance to bite.”
      It is true, I feel we create our own luck and it is up to us to push ourselves to our limits to achieve our goals in life.
    •   




  • Do we need Agents to get us work?









  • All we talk about to each other is, who is your agent and what work have they got you? But realistically how good are they? I have been out of college for almost a year now without and agent and I haven't been out of work. It has been hard and testing my passion but it wasn't impossible. If I wanted to be a film star or west end lead, i would be thinking differently but I am so passionate about being apart of this profession, why would I change the way I work. I am not say that if an agent approached me, I would turn it down - I am saying that it is what works best for you at the current time. Agents can be specific about what they get you work for i.e. Acting, musical theatre or commercials. Is it possible to have an Agent to do it all? some agents will only allow you to be on their books, so if they only do commercials, you cannot get work in the Acting or Presenting world! it is a vicious circle. 

    Is it possible to break into the industry as a duo?

    Working with my sister has always been a dream of mine. However, being a presenter has only recently become a passion of mine, even though, I have always subconsciously done it. When I was younger my sister and I made our own shows like As simple as Pancakes. it was a cookery show which involved adverts the news and also the television program. So it has always been something I loved to do. This has shown me that I should present with my sister and I have also discovered there is a niche in the market. There are loads of duo presenters but they are either 2 males or 1 male and 1 female. Having 2 female presenters is not a common sighting. What section of this industry is best suited to me? Can working with my sister be a bonus? (2 for 1 deal)However is there a reason why there are not 2 female presenters?

    How do Celebrities make it into the Industry?

    Many Celebrities have made it into the lime light without training. How do they do it? They must have had Agents, but why would they? Ant and Dec started their careers on Byker Grove before releasing a song to then become Presenters. Bit of a strange path but it worked for them. They didn't even start in the same industry they ended up in. This brings me back to Luck, and being in the right place at the right time! It makes me think that it doesn't matter how hard you push yourself, if yours not the right look, then you won't get the part. Hard to hear but true. At least we can all think that it is not are talent that is letting us down.

      I feel I need to focus on one path and not all my ambitions. Ultimately, presenting is what I want to do but know the least about. Looking at my research I have discovered that it breaks down into catergories :-

      Presenting/Television
      Company/Business
      Acting
      Luck

      After looking at my answers, nothing seems to jump out at me. All subject seem to link for example, Agents and transdisciplinary work still comes under Presenting and therefore is relevant to my Inquiry as well as Luck.
      I have always been told you have trained in Musical Theatre and won't be accepted as a actress/presenter but I don't think this is strictly true and I want to prove this by being successful in the presenting Industry. I am going back to my one of my original questions of 'can you transfer to a different section of the Industry?'

       All the information I have discovered to date are related to my Inquiry and will develop my Inquiry further. My Inquiry managing and creating a production company 


      4 comments:

      1. Hi Lisa,

        What kind of company are you hoping to manage/own in the future? An acting company, or dance? My inquiry is going down the line of Budget cuts on the arts, and how ballet companies will cope with the ongoing economic crisis. Maybe there are similiarities in our inquiry. Keep looking at my blog, i will post more soon!

        ReplyDelete
      2. Hi Lisa, reading through all the blogs of our module I recognized a similarity between the inquiry of Emily Brenchley and yours. She wants also to concern about the topic Management. I don't know if you are already in a SIG. I have just seen the similarity. Take care! Katharina

        ReplyDelete
      3. Thank you both! I am hoping to have a production company that does theatre. This will include film/tv/musical thatre/drama. Alicia, I think our inquiries will be closely related along with Emily's even though it is on management. I believe we will all benefit from being in the same SIGs. Thank you Katharina for suggesting it.

        ReplyDelete
      4. Lisa it is interesting to see the development and evolution in your questioning process - making sense of what you need from the inquiry process is also one of the points - and then focusing on certain questions or elements that develop these questions or career goals. Your topic will emerge as Module 2 progresses.

        ReplyDelete